Wednesday, June 27, 2001

Hot days, cold feet

Today is the last day of school.

It's very late this year, and I guess I should be grateful for that. Personally, I'd be just as happy if it ran through July. Year-round school, what about that? I'm not ready for summer.

I'm just as bad as the kids in not liking to have my routine disrupted. Maybe I'm worse, because I have to figure out all the ins and outs of the new routine, how to get everybody to the right place at the right time with the right people and the right program. They just have to go along for the ride.

For the rest of this week and all of next they're in church camp, which is at least close and involves both of them being in the same spot. After that, there's trouble: Anybody have a space-time warping formula that can allow me to drop my two kids off at two camps a half-hour apart at exactly the same time?

With school, see, this isn't a problem. Right now, they're going to the same school -- easy. When my daughter moves up to middle school, it will be right up the street; plus, the school district has the good grace to start the middle school earlier than the elementary school, with the high school earlier still. So nobody has to be cloned to do the drop-offs.

Timing aside, it's also hard to leave what has been a very comfortable school environment for my kiddos this year. They both had wonderful teachers, made friends, did well. And now we have to leave that, and try various questionable scenarios for a hot two months, and then start all over again in the fall. My daughter's already panicking about fourth grade: It's going to be hard! I've told her to cut it out. Worrying is my job.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Really. Sure. Why not? And it will be nice to have two months when our lives aren't ruled by homework and studying for tests. There are good things about summer. I guess.

But please, couldn't we just put it off for a few more weeks?

No comments: