Friday, June 13, 2003

Bad news, good news

Feel-bad adoption story: Foreign adoptions fraught with unforeseen problems warns USA Today in a story about adoptions thwarted by the likes of SARS and governments who decide they don't want to export their kids after all. Heart-tugging quote: '''Foreign adoption is a much more complex issue than I knew when we went into it,' [says a father whose adoption from India is on hold]. 'Most families and social workers start off thinking about it in very simple terms: There's a child who needs a home out there and parents who have homes. Then you see there are financial considerations, religious considerations, political considerations. And you have these children trapped in the middle.'"

Feel-good adoption story: A girl adopted from Siberia at the age of two won a contest to name two Mars exploration rovers, according to a NASA press release. Heart-tugging quote: "Sofi read her essay: 'I used to live in an orphanage. It was dark and cold and lonely. At night, I looked up at the sparkly sky and felt better. I dreamed I could fly there. In America, I can make all my dreams come true.'" Good thing diseases and bureaucrats didn't stand in her way.

No comments: