Tuesday, September 04, 2018

For That Back-to-School File You're Starting

Ah, back-to-school. For some parents, it's just a matter of filling out a pile of forms and fighting for the last folder at Staples. For parents of kids with special needs, there's the additional task of gathering together handouts and books to pass to teachers to explain your kid and just exactly what kind of teaching and paraprofessional-ing that will be required. If you're in that pre-distribution gathering phase right now, here are a few more things to look at, get ideas from, and share:

  1. The school section of the Parents Portfolio on my Mothers with Attitude site, where I've gathered things I distributed myself in my kids’ school days along with others I saw, admired, and asked to post.
  2. An article I wrote for Friendship Circle on preparing a teacher information packet
  3. The new book by my friend and co-podcaster Nicole Eredics, Inclusion in Action, to give your school a clue on how inclusion should be done.
  4. The older book by me on school advocacy, 50 Ways to Support Your Child's Special Education.
  5. The back-to-school checklist I wrote for this blog a couple of years ago, which is partially serious, partially funny, and partially sad, really.

No comments: