Wednesday, July 21, 2004

My summer reading

I've been on a little bit of a reading jag lately. What started it, I think, was checking out three books from the "new nonfiction" section at our local library and realizing, once I had them home, that they were due in two weeks and not the customary four. So panicked was I about finishing three books in two weeks that I wound up finishing them in one. Two, of course, were books about children with special needs: The Best I Can Be: Living with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome-Effects by Liz Kulp, a teen with FAS, and her mother, Jodee; and Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World by Leah Hager Cohen, a fascinating peek into a deaf school and deaf culture. Then I took one summer respite book: The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home by George Howe Colt, an enjoyably meandering look at a Cape Cod summer house and the Boston family that has filled it for more than a century.

It was nice reading something non-child-related for a change, but now I'm back on the job, reading a book I bought before I checked out those others: Reflections from a Different Journey : What Adults with Disabilities Wish All Parents Knew, a collection of essays edited by Stanley D. Klein, Ph.D., and John D. Kemp. And, later this afternoon, I'm back to the library. Apparently, all I need to get some good serious reading done is a due date.

No comments: